Monday 10 September 2018

Too Little Too Late

The last two weeks of training have gone quite well, sort of.

After the 10 mile race, I recovered well, and did two more runs last week of 8 miles each at the same pace, and the second one I was running easily enough at 6:35 pace. I think my body adapts well to the tempo runs and that is always where I see most results from training effort.

A few easy runs at 8 miles also. Today I did yesterday's postponed run, which normally the Sunday before a marathon is around 12 miles at 10 seconds slower than target pace. However as Berlin target pace is likely to be very slow, I figured I'd run a tempo of sorts. So a two mile warmup at almost 8 minute mile pace, and then a 10 mile segment at 7:00 minute mile.

The tempo segment went quite well, although I did struggle on the last two miles a bit, the slowest mile was 6:58 and the average for the 10 was 6:51 pace. One mile cooldown gave 13 for the session, that being the highest single mileage run in over a month. My feet were quite sore afterwards.

While it was a good session and I was happy enough, it really is a case of too little too late. I should have been pushing out sessions like that about 6 weeks ago and building from there to here. Absolutely no long runs in weeks is going to be the cruicial missing element. I have gained back a moderate level of fitness, and would be confident of a sub 1:30 half easily enough at this point, the time on the feet and legs is what will do me in on the day. My body just won't be used to anywhere near three hours on the feet and legs. I honestly don't think I have been this unprepared for a marathon distance ever.

If I pulled out now and deferred my entry to next year I would lose nothing. My flights are staff travel, the hotel is not prepaid with free cancellation. But I would be letting others down by pulling out, so off I go for possibly 3:30 to 4:00 hours of pain! But this one will be for the event, the atmosphere and the enjoyment of participation. On that basis I am determined to enjoy the weekend and look forward to one or two cold beers in Berlin to ease my pain on Sunday evening. Some 'fun' running 😳

No comments:

Post a Comment